Oxford Mission Epiphany Church, commonly known as Oxford Mission Church is an Anglican church in Barisal, a southern city in Bangladesh. It is one of the oldest and arguably the second largest church in Asia.
In the early 18th century, the ancient river port city Barisal attracted many Christian missionaries. Oxford Mission, an England-based Anglican missionary started its journey in this region from the end of the 19th century and formed Brotherhood of the Epiphany in 1895. In 1902, a Sisterhood was formed at Barisal under the guidance of Father Strong to work alongside the Brotherhood. The missionary opened an English boarding school, Christian youth hostels, an orphanage, a primary school and a medical center in its compound at Bogra Road. The work of the sisters was very broad in scope, including evangelism, medical work, educational activity amongst women under the leadership of Edith Langridge. Later a branch house was formed at Jobarpar, Agailjhara thirty miles north of the town.
The Epiphany Church was established in 1903 based on a sketch of Sister Edith and inaugurated on January 26 that year. Father E. L. Strong, chief of the brotherhood had overseen the completion of the church's design, final shape, and construction through the second phase in 1907. Frederick Douglass served as the engineer. The church was built on 35 acres of land surrounded by high walls and rows of palm trees.
The church has been preserved as a cultural heritage and survived many natural disasters that occurred in the country.
By road, you can reach Barisal from Dhaka to 6 to 8 hours. Every bus has left Barisal from Gabtali Bus Terminal for 6 to 10 pm every day. Most of the buses cross the Paturia Ghat to Barisal and some buses cross the Mawa Ghat to Barisal. Buses coming from Dhaka stops at the Nijulabad bus stand of Barisal.